1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Abusive, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

Hell yeah. I'm all of a sudden not so worried now. Thank you for that. Glad we're getting Luck.

2. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

I still want Bulger, no matter how bad our pick(s) turn out.

The only other QB I would consider, of the 7-8 that will probably go in the first 2 rounds, would be Ponder. I love his attitude, his efficiency and the fact that he played in a pro system. More of a WCO guy, but the more I watch him, the more I like.

McElroy, if a little more gifted, would be great. Heard him interviewed yesterday on Sirius, and he's as well-spoken and intelligent as any prospect I have ever heard, at any position.

That said:

[​IMG]

3. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Greg Cosell, perhaps one of Cam's harshest critics:

Certainly plenty of mechanical and mental concerns of offset this, but I think Cosell is about as solid as any evaluator.

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Nobody knows nothin. Funny to hear how Cam will take years to settle in, but last year Clausen was most pro ready and stepping into best situation with our run game, oline and defense.

Nobody knows nuttin.

5. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

We're rebuilding, and we have a lot of holes. No matter who we pick this year, we're still going to be a top 5 pick next year. We NEED to make sure this # 1 pick fills one of those holes long term. It doesn't have to be QB first.

Pick Green / Peterson / or Dareus, and let's review QB next year. (As a top 5 pick, we should see Luck /Barkley /Landry Jones there).

The more I see of Cam, the more nervous I get. Lots of bust potential there.

6. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Clausen, the early games he played in, had the "core" in the lineup. His worst game was the Bears game, where Smith was out, but his protection was fine. Just had horrible accuracy.

I watched enough of him in person, and at home, and all off-season to know that he's not ready yet. I do like Shula on board now, and I think he and Chud will both work extremely hard to get him prepared. The flashes were there (vs. Saints, Browns, Seahawks, Cards, Falcons).

Laugh it up, but I don't see him anywhere close to Netwon's level, in terms of leadership. Smith, if he stays, might cockblock Newton's ability to truly lead from day one, if it comes to that. The rest of the offensive cast: Stew, Goody, Shockey, 11, 12, Kalil, Gross, Wharton, Otah--they all will rally. I have no doubt.

No player in this draft will have a bigger chip on his shoulder than Newton. I promise you that. How he manages it will largely dictate his performance. If every one of his prior coaches, and opposing coaches (Saban, Nutt) all say that he will work like a damn dog in the film room and on the practice field, then he can go be an icon on the side. I don't give a dick, so long as he takes the Jordan avenue to that place. If he takes Vick avenue, then, yes, we're fucked.

7. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

The concern is valid. Question is, why is an NFL team even considering him #1 overall? Furthermore, if that team didn't pick him, why would the next 10 teams be fully prepared to take him? Are they all wrong?

I have yet to see one credible mock draft that puts Newton outside the top-10. That doesn't mean some don't have him rated outside the top-10 as BPA......most do.

But, it's a sign of the times. No FA, 8-10 teams with dire QB needs for now and long-range, and the "fear of loss" play into it.

I suppose the thinking would be something like: "Do I really know Dareus, Peterson, Miller, Green won't flame out? What assurances do I have that they won't have issues. Plenty of DT's, CB's, LB's and WR's have been taken early, and plenty have been turds. Plenty of QB's have been taken too, and plenty have been turds. If we're gambling, let's gamble where we need help the most, and fill the DT/WR/CB needs through FA later this summer"

1/2 of our "dominant front four" from 2002-2005 was drafted outside of the first round (Rucker/Jenkins). Buckner was an exceptional coach on the field, and was a vet FA pickup in the Siefert era. Different scheme now, yes. Point is, this draft is so fucking deep at DL, you might just be better off looking in round 3 to fill that need. What you can't do is draft Corvey Irvin.

Maybe Rivera covets more veteran players on defense than what's available in this draft, round one? Maybe he'd rather have Tommie Harris, Johnathan Joseph, etc.

Or, maybe, it's just time for a black president.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. PanMan

PanMan Junior Member

Rivera kept saying in the news conference that patience will be needed. If thats the case be pateint and take the best player for the team who fills a major need. DT, WR, CB are three areas we could fill major needs with players who have less of a chance to be a bust. A bust that can set the team back for years.

9. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Rivera did say that. He also said, multiple times since his hire, that the team needs what he refers to as a "franchise QB". I think he means it, since he saw the difference between the inconsistency while he was in Chicago (Grossman/Orton), and the consistency he saw while in San Diego (Rivers).

Patience could mean waiting for another QB. Patience can also be interpreted as taking Newton and giving him time to develop.

Only he knows.

10. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket