1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bobcats Radio Network? DJ scores 25 in first half against the Sixers

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by DJ_Tet, Jan 20, 2011.

1. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

Anyone know what station the games are on on the radio? Googling the Charlotte Bobcats Radio Network takes me to a page from 2006 when Mix 106.1 still spoke english. Are they on 610 am this year? I never hear them, do they even have a post game?

Bobcats should be on WBT like the Hornets were. I know not as many people listen to the radio as did even 20 years ago, but building a local brand with an established radio station should have been a given. Fans need to know where your games are.

Fun game tonight at the Arena, nice payback for our loss last week. DJ went fuck nuts in the first half, he looked unguardable as he effortlessly dropped in 25. They were able to contain him in the second half, but Gerald Henderson hit three big jumpers down the stretch to keep the Sixers at bay. Of course he also had a really stupid foul on a 3 pointer that nearly allowed them to tie it (Iggy missed the last of the 3.) Solid win for the cats, gotta win games like tonight. Gerald Wallace seemed out of it as they allowed the Sixers three big offensive boards down the stretch, kept them in the game.

2. Playa

Playa The coach is a near

I heard the game on 610 today. DOn't know about post game or anything

3. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

It's on 610 unless they have the Tarheels(I think), then they switch to 1660. They do a post game show, but it's pretty weak imo.

4. DJ_Tet

Thanks for the answers fellas. They must end the post-game quick, it was off the air by the time I got to the car tonight. Makes me miss the days with Steve and Gil, later with Matt Pinto. They finally have two announcers again on the radio right? I know for a couple of years they were rolling with one guy, it reminded me of a bad college broadcast. He did a good job but you really need two guys for a pro team.

5. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

yeah as noted they are 1660 when the Heels, Checkers, butch davis show,primetime in the ACC, Roy frickin' dad gum Williams show...whatever else they can find to bump them out of a spot. Post game show is 10 minutes at best. I miss the WBT show. You could listen to callers, coaches,and players while you waited in a long ass line of traffic to get out of the Hive.

:still rolling solo for the broadcast

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. DJ_Tet

Definitely miss the old show. Also, the Hornets used to do Star of the Game interviews on the radio and broadcast it at the arena. Now we get a quick announcement. There's nothing keeping people at the arena and it still gets clogged coming out of the upper bowl. Granted, traffic isn't nearly as bad as the Hornets (don't miss that mess!) but if you're taking the train it's going to be a wait. Would be nice if there was some semblance of a broadcast after the game.

Hell back in the day Henry Boggins would come on after the post-game caller show and talk more about the Hornets. I miss those days, radio just isn't the same.

edit: It's a joke that the NBA team is on such a pitiful station to begin with (not a comment on their content, which is getting better, but on their signal, which will never improve and never be adequate for even Charlotte city limits.) The fact that they get bumped for all that programming tells me they need to find a better station ANYWHERE else. Find a station that people south of Arrowood Rd can get. And find a station that will give you some semblance of a regular schedule.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Hopefully when the radio contract comes up, FOX SPORTS 730 can submit a competetive bid to be their flagship station.

Yesssss, the Bobcats is still a solo show on the radio; Part time Color Analyst Brevin Knight is now in Memphis. I think at the end of home games, their studio host (_________) comes out for a couple of quick minutes and interview the player of the game. I agree with you a 2 man radio team is much better . .

It would be nice if WBT got the Bobcats back; Maybe one day they will splinter off their FM Signal (99.3) into a sportstalk station (maybe full time ESPN Affiliate like 99.9 in Raleigh-Durham, which is flagship radio for the Canes). I really miss having a weekly coaches show as well and a caller driven post game show.

I think we all know that WFNZ was the Bobcats only option for a radio affiliate after 106.1 flipped over to Spanish Radio. Hopefully they will have a couple of more options after this contract runs out (was it a 3 year deal ? ? ? ?)

8. DJ_Tet

Why was that their only option? Were they still under some sort of contract when 106.1 flipped?

I can never find Duke basketball on the radio anymore either (they were also on 106.1) A quick google search tells me they are on 104.3 now, whatever the hell that is.

I guess live radio sports aren't the draw they used to be, but you would think they would at least be something that was placed on a station people have heard of.

9. Test123

Test123 Full Access Member

Here is the problem. We don't have enough stations in town to carry all of the sport teams in the area. Boils down to this...

FM stations do not want to block program because it fouls up their ratings. They use a new system called PPM or Personal People Meter to measure listening. Stations transmit a signal that a pager like device can hear. People carrying the PPM place the unit in a charger at night that sends a record of what they listened to during the day back to Arbitron.

Live sports Play by Play has not fared well with the PPM. Therefore your CBS Radio and your Clear Channel will not interrupt 12 in a row to carry sports.

Almost every team pays to be on. In the old days it was the other way round. Stations wanted to carry the Tar Heels and Hornets so they paid to carry those games.

So...stations that are willing to carry sports are for sale to the highest bidder. In our town that is the Tar Heels. Rumor has it they are shopping hard for a station with a better signal since they are no longer on 94.1 in Lexington.

The Bobcats were a high bidder when they first came to town. They were paying to be on a bunch of stations. Steve Martin was told he had to cut expenses so he stop paying to be on except for Charlotte and Greensboro and Spartanburg. He also cut the pre game and post game shows.

We are in for an interesting few weeks. A few deals are up right now. NASCAR is looking for a home. We should know in the next week where they will be.

104.3 is a translator which is a low power FM station designed to rebroadcast another station. They are rebroadcasting 1240 WHVN.

Test123

10. Test123

Test123 Full Access Member

SDS...

I don't see 730 being a player as far as basketball is concerned. They have very little nighttime signal. They have to cut back to less than 200 Watts at night. Their transmitter is in Belmont. If it was closer to Charlotte they would be more likely to get some nighttime money...

The only real option in our area is 105.3. It is owned by a couple of fellows in Gaffney that are leasing the station to Davidson Media. I have heard that they would be willing to sell the station but want way too much for it. I have also heard that other operators in the market have talked to them about leasing. I understand Davidson Media's deal is month to month now. We'll have to wait and see...

Test123