1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bobcats... news news news..update on Free Agents

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by merchman567, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Did seem like a lot of money but I guess they have an idea of what it's going to take to get Wallace back and pay Carroll too. Or at least I hope they do. The Mavericks have me worried though, Cuban isn't afraid to spend for a winner unlike Johnson...

2. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

Memphis Milwaukee and Charlotte can pay Wallace more than anybody else. hes looking at a mid level deal with the other teams....unless there is a sign and trade.

3. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

I don't thin the Carroll deal effects Wallace at all I think it was the appropriate contract. I was hoping for 4 million a year but, after seeing what Kapono got I was getting a little worried that some team was going to throw the whole mid level exception at him and drive the price up to 6/yr.

4.5 for a dead eye 3pt and ft shooter who is a great guy on and off the court and to have him locked up for 6 years is awesome.

4.5 in 4-6 years is going to look like a bargain for a shooter like Matt.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

$4.6 million a year is no bargain for a one-dimensional backup, and doesn't he duplicate what Adam Morrison brings to the table? Unless they're already planning on dumping Morrison for whatever we can get, I don't see the point in paying that much to Carroll. And since it's almost half of what they expect to be giving Wallace, I can't help but think it will affect their willingness to pay yet again. Personally I think they would have been better served spending that money on a center.

5. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

well compared to what Toronto blew on Kapono 4.6/year is pretty decent.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Sure, but like I said, it duplicates Morrison while eating cap space. If they're that convinced that Morrison isn't worth a shit, trade him for whatever you can get, preferably a competent big man.

7. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

From what I'm feeling, we better prepare for Gerald not to be around. Unfortunately.

What's really going to suck is after we don't sign Wallace, the whole city that already could give two shits about the Bobcats are going to say "Told you" claiming that BJ didn't spend the money. Even when we offer Gerald a more than competitive contract.

It's a big problem for the Cats I'd say, and it will get a whole lot worse if GW leaves.

8. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

Carroll's a competent backup to Richardson @ SG.

Theoretically Morrison would be a backup to Wallace @ SF.

Or hell if I know, maybe the bobcats plan to run and do a lineup of Felton/Richardson/Morrison/Wallace/Okafor - that could actually be pretty fun to watch, and they've already talked about wanting to run more next year.

9. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

Morrison and Carroll aren't the same player. Matt is a pure shooter that spots up at the 3 point line and knocks down shots while Adam is more effective moving without the ball and driving and throwing up floaters/ mid range shots.

Carroll back up sg and Morrision back up small forward.

Carroll is a better rebounder,ft shooter and is better defensively aswell.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Morrison averaged 3.0 rebounds in 30 minutes, and Carroll averaged 2.9 in 26. The free throw thing I'll give you, but Carroll's not good defensively either and last year was his first ever shooting over 40% from 3. Previously his performance there pretty much mirrored what Morrison did in his rookie season. Plus they have basically the same body and both are more or less 'tweeners who don't exactly fit at SG or SF. There's simply no question that their skills are at least very similar, so it seems pretty dumb to tie up significant cap space in someone who duplicates your top draft pick from the year before.

But in any case, please don't tell me that you think a team drafted a player #3 overall to be a backup at one position. I and many others obviously said at the time that choosing Morrison was stupid, but good lord. To go from #3 overall to an irrelevant backup the very next year is a Darkoish fall from grace.