1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bobcats Inching Closer to Announcing Regional Sports Network?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by sds70, Jan 27, 2004.

1. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

2. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

Maybe we can get some prep sports on that bad boy.

3. SportsNC

SportsNC Backtiming for Life

Word I'm hearing today is that there may be an announcement regarding the new Regional Sports Network on 2/15.

This can only be good for Charlotte and sports fans in the area. (Not to mention increased work for TV production folks.)

4. SportsNC

SportsNC Backtiming for Life

Not sure if this is part of the Bobcats Network plans or not, but I'm hearing that TWC is looking to regionalize HS sports coverage throughout it's Charlotte Division (Gaston, Union, Stanly, Cabarrus, Rowan, Mecklenburg, etc.) More HS sports do seem to be on the way.

5. sds70

Lets look at the big picture yall :) . . . .

1) A weekly high school sports show: Since CAROLINA SPORTSNET would cover the entire Carolinas, I think you could make it a 1 hour show on Saturdays to concentrate on Football (in the fall) and hoops (in the winter/spring) and do a midweek show to cover the other sports (think a regional version of ESPN's old Scholastic Sports Show). Try to get coverage of local teams/athelets from local TV stations in the Carolinas (maybe work something out with all of the NBC or ABC Carolinas affiliates to help supply coveage). Get prep writers from each major market to do reports also (i.e. Langston Wertz and the gang from the OBSERVER, the N&O Prep staff for the Raleigh/Durham teams, etc.).

2) Start airing local high school title games (NC & SC) on CAROLINAS SPORTSNET. Also, holiday hoops tourneys would be good for programming :) . . .

3) I can see the Dell Curry Tournement moving to the new Uptown Arena in 2005 . . . I'm sure Bob Johnson will give him a deal on renting the building . . .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  6. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

And good ole Smash here would love to host a HS football program. :1luvu:

7. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

My question is: Is this channel going to be available to those in the Carolinas and the nation via Satellite like FOX Sports South currenty is, or is this just going to be a thing that runs on Time Warner Cable Systems only?

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

i may be wrong but think thats one thing that needs to be worked out??? I love the idea and hope this is reality!

9. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

IMO, I think it will be a big mistake by Johnson if he dosen't market the network to both Carolinas. There were a lot of people from the mountains to the coast that loved the Hornets when they came into the NBA, and I would think the same would hold true for the Bobcats.

10. sds70

The channel will be on Time Warner Cable from the start; Hopefully the Bobcats will be able to negotiate a deal with the other cable outlets in the Carolinas and satellite networks (DISH & DIRECTV) so that they will carry the channel also from the beginning vs. later (see Hornets fiasco in New Orleans area with COX SPORTS TV; Some parts of the market still can't watch the games because COX and non-Cox Cable systems still can't reach a financial agreement on carrying the network)