1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bill Rosinski is gone.

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Panther84, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

It'll be very strange to hear a Panther game not called by Rosinski. Damn shame.:thinking:

2. TOTALPACKAGE

TOTALPACKAGE VOODOO MEMBER

Only one man for the job,
    RICK FLAIR

3. lharris537

lharris537 Full Access Member

Woooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy :notworthy

4. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

Szoke might be gone, too

From Gantt's column:

Panthers decide to let radio announcer go

By Darin Gantt The Herald
    (Published January 8‚ 2005)

CHARLOTTE -- The Carolina Panthers will have a new voice when they return to the field next fall, since the old one was silenced Friday.
    Bill Rosinski, the only radio play-by-play announcer in franchise history, was let go by the team in a move that was somewhat of a surprise.

"They let me know today that it was an whole organization ... a group decision," Rosinski said Friday afternoon. "But I don't know what the hell it was.

"Basically, they told me they weren't going to renew my contract."

Rosinski, who joined the team in 1995, said he learned his fate in a late-morning phone conversation with Henry Thomas, the team's director of broadcast administration and sponsor events.

Team spokesman Charlie Dayton said that at the end of Rosinski's contract, "we just decided to go in another direction."

By mid-afternoon, his picture and bio had been taken off the team's Web site.

The big-voiced Rosinski was recognized as one of the best in the business, with bold calls and a style which could have rubbed management the wrong way at times. In the team's media guide, the crew led by Rosinski is described as "the best broadcast team in the NFL."

The move could be the first in a series, since the team's contract with flagship station WRFX-FM (99.7) is also about to expire according to radio industry insiders.Rosinski (who also hosted the team's Monday coaches show) said he got a feeling something was afoot when he broached the subject of a contract extension several months ago and received no response. He recently retained an agent, an unusual move for announcers at the team level, which may have rubbed the team the wrong way.

Rosinski was also disappointed that he never received an NFC Championship ring after last year's run to the Super Bowl, and had voiced that displeasure.

"But they can't say job performance is the reason I'm out," Rosinski said.

He was never afraid to criticize the on-field product when things were going poorly, but he also authored some of the lines by which the big plays will be remembered. Perhaps his most recognizable call was near the end of last year's NFC Championship Game win at Philadelphia, when he said jubilantly: "Yes, Charlotte, there is a Super Bowl. And we're in it."

His peers in the business expressed surprise at the move.

Steve Martin, the radio voice of the Charlotte Bobcats and formerly the Charlotte Hornets, said he was most impressed by Rosinski's willingness to voice strong opinions while walking the fine line of working for the people he was talking about.

"He told it like it was," Martin said. "I was amazed at some of the things he'd say sometimes. He wouldn't be swayed. A bad play was a bad play, and to Bill's credit, he was ever afraid to say so.

"He's a tremendous broadcaster, and I know he won't stay unemployed long."

In addition to his radio duties, Rosinski also handled television play-by-play for the team's preseason games.

His radio partner, Jim Szoke, didn't want to comment on the situation other than to say he was sorry to see his partner of 10 years go.

While Rosinski was under contract to the team, Szoke is employed by Clear Channel Communications, providing morning and afternoon sports updates on WRFX-FM (99.7).
    Szoke interviewed for the vacant play-by-play job in Atlanta last year (which eventually went to Wes Durham) and would likely be a strong contender to replace Rosinski.

[email protected]

5. rake

rake Need one of these

IMO Rosinskis candor made our staff uncomfortable and they want more of a puppet who has more of a natural flare for sugar coating and avoiding issues. Perhaps my biggest complaint of Fox is his frustrating “waste of time to listen to” coach speak. He hardly ever tells it like it is and he would make a great friggin politician some day the way he avoids direct questions and sidesteps the issues at hand. My guess is that Rosinski didn’t “fit in” with the low to no info approach that Fox & Co want to ration out and that’s why he’s out. I guess they want to try and guard information from the enemy but they might be too paranoid if you ask me.

6. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

sounds like he was just an asshole who alot of people did not like

7. blackcatfan

blackcatfan Full Access Member

HE WAS A FUCKING RADIO ANNOUNCER!! DURING THE SEASON, WHO WOULD NOT HAVE TRADED HIM FOR A DECENT RIGHT TACKLE OR FREE SAFETY???

8. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I'm sick of reading articles and letters about how badly they firing was handled and how it wasn't done with class. If the rumors are true, would it be classy for the Panthers to explain how much of a dick he was or should they just follow "if you don't have anything good to say" like they are?

9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

My feelings exactly.

10. sec551

sec551 more pissed off than ever

"Puppet" describes a lot of what Panthers management wants at all levels.

I listened exclusively to Rosinski on headphones while at home games. Just the best, period. Yeah, I was a faithful Panther Talk attendee, and always found ol' Bill to be pretty unfriendly, cold as ice - but who cares? All I want is to hear the voice on the radio. Political correctness and suckup ability, not qualification, is unfortunately the overriding criterion for evaluation by management, both on and off the field.

Sorry to bump this. I've been out of town and just found out while checking up on the Moose topic. :rolleyes: