1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bill Rosinski is gone.

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Panther84, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I think you are right. He might be ok for short spans. His "ebonics" approach gets old pretty quick though.

I liked Roman Gabriel too bad he is gone.

2. batgrafix

batgrafix hannle yo biddness

http://heraldonline.com/local/breaking_news/story/4414537p-4185558c.html

it's official -

Panthers lose their voice for Saturday papers
    STORY TOOLBAR
    Email This Article Print This Story
    Speak Out! Subscribe To Print
    Darin Gantt/The Herald
    CHARLOTTE--The Carolina Panthers will have a new voice when they return to the field next fall, since the old one was silenced Friday.

Bill Rosinski, the only radio play-by-play announcer in franchise history, was let go by the team in a move that was somewhat of a surprise.

"They let me know today that it was an whole organization, ... a group decision," Rosinski said Friday afternoon. "But I don't know what the hell it was".

"Basically, they told me they weren't going to renew my contract".

Rosinski who joined the team in 1995, said he learned his fate in a late-morning phone conversation with Henry Thomas, the team's director of broadcast administration and sponsor events.

Team spokesman Charlie Dayton said that at the end of Rosinski1s contract, "we just decided to go in another direction".

The big-voiced Rosinski was recognized as one of the best in the business, with bold calls and a style which could have rubbed management the wrong way at times. In the team's media guide, the crew led by Rosinski is described as "the best broadcast team in the NFL".

However, the popular announcer (who also hosted the team's Monday coaches show) said he got a feeling something was afoot when he broached the subject of a contract extension several months ago and received no response. He recently retained an agent, an unusual move for announcers at the team level, which may have rubbed the team the wrong way.

Rosinski was also disappointed that he never received an NFC Championship ring after last year's run to the Super Bowl, and had voiced that displeasure.

"But they can't say job performance is the reason I'm out," Rosinski said.

He was never afraid to criticize the on-field product when things were going poorly, but he also authored some of the lines by which the big plays will be remembered.

Perhaps his most recognizable call was near the end of last year's NFC Championship Game win at Philadelphia, when he said jubilantly: "Yes, Charlotte there is a Super Bowl. And we're in it".

In addition to his radio duties, Rosinski also handled television play-by-play for the team's preseason games.

His partner, Jim Szoke, didn't want to comment on the situation other than to say he was sorry to see his partner of 10 years go.

While Rosinski was under contract to the team, Szoke is employed by Clear Channel Communications, providing morning and afternoon sports updates on WRFX-FM.

Szoke interviewed for the vacant play-by-play job in Atlanta last year (which eventually went to Wes Durham) and would likely be a strong contender to replace Rosinski.

3. batgrafix

"They let me know today that it was an whole organization, ... a group decision," Rosinski said Friday afternoon.

they didn't like him, personally.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    It's the fucking announcer. Don't have to like him.

This just sucks

5. Panther84

Panther84 Junior Member

Im not going to give my source, but I can promise I knew it was real.

6. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

"Save the Rose" ? :laugh1:

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Too late for that, but damned if I'm not going to bitch about this. We willingly let the best in the NFL walk.

8. batgrafix

from what I understand, he would walk around the offices, was rude to people, had a huge ego and needed to feed it all the time. I guess if you piss the wrong people off, it doesn't matter how good you are. Sucks to be us... we're the ones that have to deal with the reprocussions.

9. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

Steve Martin is the only man for the job.

10. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

I haven't been in the Panthers locker room in a few years, but back in the day he used to walk around in what looked like his letter jacket from small yankee college and look at everyone like they were pieces of shit. However, dude was bad ass on the radio.