1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Belicheck

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

I don't know, maybe because the Patriots defense had forced 7 punts and 2 interceptions, both season highs for the Colts.

2. y2b

y2b King of QC

i think a punt would have been same result, and he knew it... Pats defense isn't as good as in the past, and against any QB other than Manning... punt the ball

going for it on 4th down gave them the best chance to win

3. barry49s

barry49s Ain’t good for nothing

So if the Pats win twelve games this year Brady is only one game better than Matt Cassel? Jim Zorn would have six wins instead of six losses this season with Tom Brady at QB. Charlie Weis and Belichick should kiss Tom Brady on both ass cheeks.

4. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

That's ridiculous logic even for you Barry.

I'm not sure you remember who put all those defenses together this decade using smoke and mirrors...and who brought in and let go all those players to keep a dynasty alive in the free agancy error. Brady didn't do that.

5. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

NE's defense is ranked 8th in the league however they were missing 3 starters sunday night.

6. y2b

y2b King of QC

that's fine... the prick still knew it didn't matter where Manning started the drive from. The only shot they had was keeping him on the sidelines at all costs.

7. Piper

Piper phishin member

In 2007, Manning had the ball in his hands with just under 2 minutes, down 24-20 vs the Pats.

The Pats stopped him. So he doesn't do it every time.

Belichick on a radio appearance brought up 2006 AFCCG where he had a 4th and 2 and decided to punt, and Manning of course burned him then. But he forgot the most recent example.

Manning has gotten in his head more than his own defense.

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I think Steve Czaben came up with the perfect analogy - punting the ball back to Peyton Manning in that situation is like getting in the trunk of a mafia sedan. You might live, but there's also the probability that the trunk opens up and Manning is standing over you with a shovel.

Had they punted the ball, they would still "have the lead". But against a prevent defense, you figure Manning will work the ball down into scoring position, and have enough time to take multiple shots into the endzone. You can't like those odds. Belichick tried to karate kick the gun and make a run for it, instead of getting into the trunk.

In hindsight, you can definitely question the move. I do believe that worse decisions are made by coaches, on a weekly basis, that go virtually unnoticed, like when the Panthers tried to score a touchdown at the end of the Saints game instead of kicking a FG and then trying the onsides kick.

Say what you want about the interceptions, but that defense was not playing well in the 4th quarter. You punt the ball, Manning is probably going to work it into scoring position anyway, not just heave the ball up like he did on those picks.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    conversely, based on the last full season for both, Brady would be worth five more wins than his replacement.

10. y2b

y2b King of QC

looking at the replay... bobble, catch, tackled... 1st down

he brought the ball to his chest before getting took to the ground while still across the 30 yard line