1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Beating the dead horse!

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by HighPoint49er, Nov 25, 2003.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

They might want to spell it correctly though....

2. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Please don’t play coy or dumb about our name. Your email to one of our 49er fans is laced with syrupy sweet “good intentions”, but riddled with flawed logic.

If you intend to apply your inane “official school name” logic, then you MUST, by your own rule, call the Tarheels “UNC-CH” or UNC at Chapel Hill”.

Until you start doing so, you are a hypocrite.

By the way… Please update your style book to always refer to “Ole Miss” as “the University of Mississippi” in EVERY instance. Same with “Cal” (University of California at Berkley or “UC-B”).

It’s your rule. Don’t blame me.

It comes across as disrespectful to ignore this press release from August of 2000:

http://charlotte49ers.ocsn.com/genrel/082300aaa.html

From which I quote:

If it really “confusing you and your readers” that much, then just call us the 49ers. Even the AP calls us Charlotte. It isn’t difficult.

Please respect our wishes and our fans. Thank you.

3. Lefty9er

Lefty9er Full Access Member

Niner Nation motto: one NC newspaper at a time...

4. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

That's good Lefty! I like it.

Thanks to all who have sent emails too!

5. HardHarry

Eddie,

The problem is, we announced the name change and spent 10’s of thousands of dollars on new logos, etc THREE YEARS ago and various parts of the media are resisting it for reasons none of us understands. They aren’t even consistent. Most of the big corporate sites such as ESPN, TSN and CBS/Sportsline adopted it with open arms. But hacks such as SI and Fox News still have our old logo up and call us “NC Charlotte” (or even “NCC-Charlotte” on more than one occasion).

If you are doing headlines or tag lines, why not just say Aggies blown out by 49ers?

I don’t think anyone will confuse us with the pro football team or Long Beach State. It’s not like we’re the “Tigers”.

6. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

HH and others who sent/received email on this topic... forward these on to the athletic department, the chancellor, the UNC Charlotte Office of Public Relations, etc.

7. HardHarry

8. vpkozel

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Y'all are some entertaining fuckers. Strange, but entertaining as hell.

9. HardHarry

Walk a mile in our shoes VP, you'll understand.

Would be a neat experiment for you. Forsake your team for the next few weeks and give yourself over to being a Niner fan hearta nd soul during that time. It'll broaden your perspective and heck, you might even like it.

I'm a UT fan as well, so I have experienced the really interesting dichotomy of fandom - rooting for one of the big evil college sports powers and and up and comer like Charlotte as well. It really changes your opinions.

10. vpkozel

I'm a Red Sox fan. Please don't even TRY to tell me about pain in rooting for a team. And I also grew up here in Charlotte, so I am very famliar with the school and its teams. I also wish y'all well.

Entertaining was not to be meant as an insult.