1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Beason - what would make him a guinea pig?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jul 30, 2007.

1. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

If that's really the case I support the team, if it isn't then do a standard contract. We need this guy in camp.

2. Piper

Piper phishin member

True, but I didn't read that. I can't read the SI article though. My impression was that everyone, including us, used these second year bonuses. They are basically roster bonuses, and when the courts decreed this past year that teams could not recoup roster bonuses, whether they are prorated or not, that increased everyone's risk.

I know we have included such bonuses in the past, Morgan and Peppers each got them. Don't know about recent draft picks.

3. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I agree as well, and I've always sided with the front offices against holdouts.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  4. Mongo

Mongo Pawn in game of life

This doesn't sound like a roster bonus to me. We can avoid payment of roster bonuses by cutting the player. His agent wants this bonus in the guaranteed money.

And I don't think "every" other team is doing these option bonuses. Even the agent is quoted as saying "most" other teams. Just like the voidable years this seems to be against the team's policy.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  5. Collin

Collin soap and water

How many times do people have to correct you before it finally sinks in? I'm just curious.

6. Wiggin

Wiggin Full Access Member

Basically, the agent wants the 2nd option that can't be recouped no matter what once it's paid, while the team wants the bonus in the 3rd year as a roster bonus which can be recouped if for some reason the player bolts, is suspended, etc.

While the agent has pointed out that Beason would be the lowest paid 1st rounder in his second year (which isn't that big of a stretch anyway, being that he is a late 1st round pick), he fails to mention he would be one of the highest in the third. The panthers are not trying to take any money away from Beason, they are only moving it to structure that would protect them if he screws them in some way. If Beason is the stand-up guy he is reported to be, then he will get his money regardless.

So, the agent is simply posturing for future players.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I understand that but since the dollars are small it reduces the importance of when they are paid out. Why dick around when the contract is small by NFL standards?

There seems to be some conflicting reports on what the standard is for rookies. If most teams are giving out the second year roster bonus then we should do that as well. If that is just BS then we should prepare for Beason to miss all of camp.

8. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

What if he is a perfect stand up guy and gets hurt in year two?

9. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

yes

10. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I already am, and frankly if he chooses to sit I'm not gonna worry about it. I don't want this team to start getting bullied by ass hole agents. We already overspend for most of our guys, the least we can do is stand up to their shitty contract demands. From the way it looks the only way Beason wouldn't get the bonuses, is if he holds out later while under contract, or breaks some huge team rule causing him to be cut. Basically if he stays outta trouble and plays he'll be paid. I see nothing wrong with this logic.