1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Beasley Article...

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by VA49er, May 27, 2005.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Can someone paste the Beasley article from today's CLT Observer? For some reason, I can't get the damn link to open up. People have fits when stuff is posted on the other site. Thanks.

2. pcon

pcon Full Access Member

3. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Weird.

Anyway, I read it this morning. I don't remember him saying exactly that he had committed, but he really likes Lutz and everything. Not trying to troll or anything; just thought it was odd they would use that headline and then not quote him. Maybe I missed it.

4. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

I think the only way we know for sure if he's going to college is if the NBA puts a 20 y/o age limit on the players...

5. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

49ers commitment sold on college, but ...
    Scouts say Beasley might be too good to delay NBA career

KEN TYSIAC, Raleigh Bureau, Charlotte Observer

Michael Beasley says it, and you want to believe if you're a Charlotte 49ers basketball fan.

Beasley is a 6-foot-7 forward who runs the floor, scores inside and out, and was dubbed "unstoppable" by his high school coach in a headline-making quote in the Washington Post.

Scout.com national recruiting analyst Dave Telep said Beasley probably is the No. 2 player in the sophomore class, behind guard O.J. Mayo of Cincinnati. That makes Beasley one of the most highly regarded commitments in 49ers history.

It also makes him a candidate to jump right to the NBA out of high school. When asked about that, Beasley uttered words that will make 49ers fans drool.

"I'm going to college," he said Wednesday during a telephone interview. "I hear everybody talking about the best years of their life are in college. And if I skip to the NBA ... I don't want to miss any of that."

Beasley will play for the D.C. Assault in the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions AAU event today through Sunday in the Triangle. The tournament features all-star teams made up of high school players from around the nation and is held in gyms at Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State and local high schools.

Other top athletes scheduled to play include Mayo (D-One Greyhounds) and 7-foot junior Greg Oden (Spiece Indy Heat), widely regarded as the top high school player in America. Oden and Beasley have met skepticism when they have talked about going to college.

Telep predicted Beasley would go to the NBA right out of high school if he has the opportunity.

"He has got the ability to move outside, move inside, he has always been a consistent scorer," Telep said. "He has been a kid who just puts up numbers, and he is so smooth for a sophomore."

Beasley's draft status isn't as easy to predict as that of Oden, the likely No. 1 pick in 2006 if he enters the draft and if the NBA is unable to institute a minimum age of 20 in its next collective bargaining agreement with NBA players. Oden is a 7-footer with unusually quick feet and soft hands.

It will take continued development to keep Beasley in the top 10 of his class. Witness 6-7 Tasmin Mitchell of Denham Springs, La., the nation's top-rated player entering last summer. Now a senior who will enroll in the fall at Louisiana State, Mitchell is No. 12 in the scout.com rankings.

"The bottom line is that it's too early to know," PrepStars analyst Rob Harrington said of Beasley's NBA chances.

Beasley said he improved his ball handling and knowledge of the game when he led Riverdale Baptist of Upper Marlboro, Md., to the National Association of Christian Athletes title.

The tournament included the Houston Gulf Shores Academy team led by Gerald Green, a 6-8 senior receiving rave reviews as a possible NBA lottery pick next month.

Green and Gulf Shores lost to Our Savior New American of Centereach, N.Y., in the semifinals. Beasley scored 29 in a 72-61 victory against Our Savior in the championship game.

"He's very athletic, very enjoyable to watch, and he has an outside game and an inside game," said Our Savior coach Ron Stelzer.

Beasley said he loves the way the 49ers play with a fast tempo under coach Bobby Lutz and wants to pursue a business degree at Charlotte. He was disappointed with Charlotte's first-round NCAA tournament loss to N.C. State, but said he is comfortable with Lutz and his staff, which includes former D.C. Assault assistant Dalonte Hill.

This summer, Beasley wants to continue working on the mental aspects of the game. He plans to ignore the hype about the NBA and the rankings that can change quickly if he doesn't continue to improve.

"I try not to look at the rankings, especially if I'm not No. 1," Beasley said. "The way I think, if you're not No. 1, it doesn't count."

Michael Beasley File
    HEIGHT: 6-7
    YEAR: Sophomore
    HIGH SCHOOL: Riverdale (Md.) Baptist
    STATISTICS: Averaged 21 points and 15 rebounds, leading Riverdale Baptist to a 33-1 record.
    RANKING: No. 2 in the class of 2007 by scout.com,
    DID YOU KNOW?: Beasley finishes well around the basket because he's ambidextrous.

6. barry49s

barry49s Ain’t good for nothing

Last name Beasley, can't play.

7. Hawki

Hawki Junior Member

True. Could never carry a team, because he has no shoulders.

8. barry49s

That is wrong. Funny as hell but wrong. :trophy:

9. hootie

hootie Full Access Member

Two 5' 2", 200 lb+ fucks ragging on my physique. I'm crushed.

10. barry49s

Damn he said it, not me. Hell I took up for you. Kind of.