1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bears matchup = Fox ball

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Sep 10, 2008.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Run the ball, stop the run.

Not meaning to discredit the Bears run game, We destroyed Indy on the ground in the preseason. Forte had a nice game, but so did Jones. I'm not convinced they're the ground juggernaut that ran for 180 yards and threw for 150.

Either way - if we can stop the run, we can likely beat Orton. If we can run the ball, we can have some nice one on one matchups, and I like our guys - Moose, Hackett, Jarrett, and Rosario - against their secondary.

Also - gotta love Rhys Lloyd keeping it away from Hester.

It's going to be all about being able to pound it down their throat.

:usa:

2. Trace

Trace Full Access Member

Not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on this game. Chicago is good.

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I think you nailed it. Running the ball and stopping the run will be the key. If we can force Orton to try to beat us then we should be in great shape. Our secondary should make some plays on him if he throws it enough.

If Lloyd continues to put it out the back of the end zone and does not let Hester touch it then he will have been worth his roster spot just for this one game.

4. Paladin

Paladin Full Access Member

Dunno. I think they're really gonna stack the line, dare Jake to throw.

5. THE 5TH CRUSADER

THE 5TH CRUSADER THE TRUTH DETECTOR

Chicagos front four will destroy the Panthers offensive line.I see at least 5 sacks

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Tommie Harris is definitely a concern, especially if we pass inordinately.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    look at how we ran on the Colts, and keep that in mind. I think Forte's a solid back but he's not a playmaker on the level of Tomlinson. We need to keep our gaps and play fundamentals, we won't be outmuscled.

The tough matchups for us will be v/s the TEs - I don't think their trick (have seen in two games already, so I imagine it's a second-tier feature for them) of putting Olson on a corner is going to work against us, because our corners don't suck. But they do have two TEs that can challenge us short or long, and that's a unique thing to guard against.

Their WRs aren't good, and them using the TEs as actively as they do should make our blitz packages pretty specific in how they're designed.

Their front 7 is still formidable inside, so we'll have to overpower the edges and block down for our power runs. It's not a great game for it given personnel, but I do believe that spreading them out is a good way for matchups, whereas 2 TE isn't going to help us much other than protection. Their DL is specialized, so there's a level of matchup that won't give us as much problem as it would've in, say, 2005. Kalil needs to have a good game, certainly, but playing an odd-front Tampa 2 a week after a one-gap 3-4 is pretty ideal.

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

If you can make Orton throw the ball and get pressure on him you are likely to get some turn overs. Our run defense is much better than Indy's so I doubt we will struggle stopping Forte like they did.

9. tharan000

tharan000 Full Access Member

I think it is important that we score more points.

10. KiansDad

KiansDad These colors NEVER run!

Some of you aren't really comparing the Panthers preseason (key word here) game against the Colts (without Manning at QB for even 1 play) to the Bears regular season (key here as well) opener against the Colts (in their first "real" game in their new Stadium), are you?

Really?

The only thing the preseason Colts that faced the Panthers and the regular season Colts that faced the Bears have in common are their uniforms.

Preseason games have very little game planning by either team, very little (if any) playing time by the starters and the results of the game are meaningless. The Panthers fans should know this.. after all the 4-0 or 3-1 preseasons they have had that were followed by less then successful seasons.