1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bear's Brown on Jake

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by ant2125, Nov 20, 2005.

1. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

This is what I want to believe. I want to believe he just doesn't trust anyone else to make the catch -- that nobody else has been consistently dependable like Moose was. Colbert sure hasn't. Dunno about Gardner, though. Jake needs a safety blanket, be it a receiving TE or even Foster coming out of the backfield. I don't care which. But he needs a #2 option he can be confident in.

2. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

shit, i'll bet you $5 that if smitty gets hurt colbert or gardner will have a pro-bowl caliber rest of the season. jakes going to wait until 1 person in particular gets open or take a sack 85% of the time. that's what i'm starting to think.

3. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

it is kinda hard to find that 3rd or 4th guy when your pocket collapses in 2.3 seconds. so i'll take your 5 bucks.

4. Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot The Voice of Reason

You're looking at the numbers from one year where he only played 11 games and ignoring eight seasons worth of work. For that matter, even in the one year you cite he threw twice as many picks as he has this year.

Take a look at his entire career and the pick stats read as follows: 15, 20, 24, 21, 14, 20 7, 20 and 3 this season. That's an average of 17 a year prior to this season. Plummer's talked in several interviews about how the offseason work they did this year is making all the difference. If it can happen for Plummer, it can happen for Delhomme as well. Prior to this year, they've been largely the same guy (outside of mobility).

Online media from way back and people who have familiarity with the team. The Observer had an article (vintage 2002, probably) about how Henning didn't want to have a quarterback coach because he preferred to work directly with his quarterbacks. He stated at that time that the Panthers didn't need one and wouldn't hire one. McCoy was working as an "offensive assistant" at the time. The next year he was given the title of QB coach, but not the duties. Even his official bio will tell you that his main duty is to relay the play calls from Henning.

McCoy also served as our wideout coach in 2001 after Williamson went to OC. The wideout production that year declined, and the following year he was back to "offensive assistant" after the team convinced Williamson to take back the WR coaching.

As to Peete, even Delhomme has said that he and Peete were always going over plays on the sidelines. Peete had the unofficial duty of acting as someone who helped to keep Jake on an even keel. I think he'd make a decent QB coach for Delhomme, but I don't think he wants to go into coaching (Beuerlein doesn't either).

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

First, how many games has he played this season? Second, no I'm not ignoring anything. I'm pointing out that Plummer didn't magically get better this offseason, as you had claimed. Don't get your panties in a bunch because I pointed out something that didn't fit your argument, whether you knew about it and ignored it or just weren't aware. His stats this season are almost identical to what they were in 2003. In 2004 they weren't as good for whatever reason, but I'd speculate that it had to do with Denver not having its usual dominating running attack.
    Good for him, but that isn't the truth. The stats prove beyond any doubt that Plummer was this good as soon as he showed up in Denver. Now I'm not saying that it was completely joining a new environment, as it's more than possible that Jake figured he should be more dilligent and improve given how much the Broncos invested in him, but the fact is that he was this good as soon as he starting playing in a Denver uniform. Again, it's not my fault that this blows your argument to shit. I didn't make up the stats, I just reported them.
    Kubiak feels the same way, so aren't you pretty much destroying your own point? Maybe you should pick a QB with a quarterbacks coach more widely recognized as a legitimate guru if you want to argue that such coaches are necessary.
    You're late to this argument, but when mVm and I had it before, I went through the bios of every quarterbacks coach in the NFL and the vast majority have job descriptions almost exactly like McCoy's. Only a handful are recognized as just working with the QBs and not being more of the OC's right hand man.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I still disagree with "vast majority" and so on, neither of us having proven anything more in that argument than that we have opinions about how NFL QBs should be coached.

Past that, even the higher QBs coaches in the league do still help the OC gameplan (just as line coaches and RBs coaches handle a good bit of that duty in the running attack). They do, in some cases, still signal the plays. Being an above average technician and having the ability to relate information back and forth doesn't mean you do or don't have responsibilities of that nature, or that you're an unimportant position coach.

The difference, and the point I wish we were better at, was having a coach on the field that can be a direct influence on our QBs, give them the technical adjustments necessary during a game that other position coaches give during games, and can be the lead offensive voice for the coaches when the OC is in the pressbox. I think these are things we're lacking during games. And again, I do believe that Jake and all QBs are coachable, regardless of age.

Rodney Peete's not that guy. Mike McCoy's not that guy. Experienced and knowledgeable NFL veterans are the type I'm after. I don't see why there's a portion of NFL teams that consciously forego having that level of coaching, and never have.

7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

the bears had the panthers number yesterday, no doubt about it.

but i'm calling it right now. if carolina gets a re-match in the playoffs the bears are going down.

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Have you figured out how to return punts on that game?

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Fuck no, that shit is hard. You might as well just go for the block, as I've gotten a couple.

10. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

Did we even try the shotgun Sunday? I don't remember it and I'd ask why not.