1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Basement Heating

Discussion in 'Home Improvement & DIY Forum' started by webaldwin, May 11, 2010.

1. webaldwin

webaldwin Junior Member

Long story for a simple question. Live in the mountains of North Carolina in a 6 year old house sitting on a basement. Basement has been finished into a large living room that has 3 windows and door to outside. It also has a furnance room, bath, and kids play room. I have a wood stove in the living room.

Part of the reason for finishing the basement out was cheap winter heating (the wood stove easily heats the basement and I have plenty of wood) and for the coolness that it will provide in the summer without having to run the AC.

Here is the problem/question: I am finding out that it doesn't heat up enough from the sun on these "tweener" days. The air just doesn't circulate from the outside to the inside enough to heat the basement up, even with the basement windows open. The upstairs will be low to mid 70's from just the sun heating up the house. However the basement will be low 60's still and you feel like you need a fire.

I know that I can install, and probably will install, a little in-wall gas stove because I will need that in winter to warm up the basement as the fire gets going. And I know that I can use that on these "tweener" days to warm it up.

My question is what other options do I have? If I can get more airflow (right now the door at the top of the basement stairs is being kept closed) will that let the basement warm up more. Any potential solar solutions out there? Thanks.

Will

2. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

Open the windows and let the sun shine in. You're welcome. :toilet:

3. webaldwin

webaldwin Junior Member

That's what I thought, but I'm just not getting any air flow to warm up the basement. And that is with 3 windows and the door wide open. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to leave the door at the top of the basement stairs open.

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

box fans?

5. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

Won't help, heat rises

6. Southern_Yankee

Southern_Yankee Full Access Member

I would suggest a wood stove. Oh yeah, plenty of wood too, :xyxthumbs:

7. smithmiller6

smithmiller6 Junior Member

8. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

The way for you to go is to HELL, straight down. :hammer: :hammer:

9. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

get one or two of these electric heaters. like 40 bucks and are oil filled. if it is low 60 it can heat the room in a half hour.

Attached Files:

10. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Pull a transfer duct. Install a six duct from the attic to the basement. Tie into basement duct work. you can use an old old furnace fan. Cheap and strong. You will need a thermostat