1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Atlanta Braves Thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by Wise One, Jan 25, 2008.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

I was never high on Reyes or Lillibridge, so I think it's a good deal depending upon who else is involved.

3. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Reyes has never shown much compared to what was expected of him. Lillibridge is probably a marginal player IMO. This looks to be a good deal. Vasquez will chew up some innings and perhaps a change of scenery will make him a little better.

4. ebtb_10_04

ebtb_10_04 Junior Member

I personally think its too much of a risk to sign Burnett to a 5 year deal, especially if he is going to opt out of the 5th year like he did this year to the Blue Jays. I would really like to see Wern get the trade talks with the padres up and running again. If we could trade for Peavy, and send Escobar, Hernandaz, Johnson and a pitcher to the padres, then Prado could start at second, we could sign furcal, and another pitcher...maybe Jon Garland, he's only 29 and has proven to be a good number 2 pitcher. We could also trade for a power right handed bat. The rotation would then be Peavy, Garland, Vazquez, Jurjjens, and Hanson until Hudson comes back. As for the line up I would put it like this
    1. Furcal
    2. Prado
    3. Chipper
    4. whoever the power hitter we get is
    5. McCann
    6. Kotchman
    7. Frenchy
    8. Shafer or Blanco
    9. Pitcher
    For some reason i really dont think the trade talks with the Padres are finished!

5. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Kind of interesting. I don't want to trade Escobar or Johnson. I agree that the Braves and Padres will discuss Peavy again. No doubt the Braves need to get a power hitter or two.

6. ebtb_10_04

ebtb_10_04 Junior Member

I agree I don't want the Braves to trade Escobar but Johnson has to go. He is an average defensive player at best and offensively not very consistent. I would like to see the Braves go after Dye, who could be traded for without having to give up too much.

7. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

From ESPN Insider:
    Right-handed pitcher Jon Garland is leaning toward declining the Angels' salary arbitration offer by Sunday's deadline, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. That's an indication that Garland -- who made $12 million this season with the Angels -- is confident he can receive a better deal on the open market.

Garland posted a 14-8 record with a 4.90 ERA this season. He allowed 237 hits in 196 innings, and opposing lineups batted .303 against him. But 2008 marked the seventh straight year that Garland has surpassed 190 innings, and his representatives expect him to generate more interest once CC Sabathia, Derek Lowe and A.J. Burnett come off the board.

That high of an era and he thinks he can get better ? Maybe but still

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Actually Braves look to be making a SERIOUS run at Burnett.

9. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Vazquez was shipped from the Chicago White Sox to Atlanta on Thursday as the teams completed a six-player deal agreed to earlier in the week. Left-handed reliever Boone Logan also went to the Braves as part of the swap, while the White Sox acquired four prospects: catcher Tyler Flowers, infielders Jonathan Gilmore and Brent Lillibridge and left-handed pitcher Santos Rodriguez

Wish they could have held on to Flowers... but a starting pitcher is a priority this off season.

10. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Flowers has insane power potential but he will probably end up an AL DH. Everything I have read about him indicates that he is too big and too slow to catch. I would think that 1B could be a possibility down the road. Braves must make some serious moves to improve the club. Vasquez will chew up innings and hopefully be a 10-12 game winner. Logan has some upside too from what I'm told.