1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Atheism

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by Mortimer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. wordsworth

wordsworth Full Access Member

You'd make a great preacher, just sayin.:Angel_anim:

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Nietzsche's "On the Genealogy of Morals" is also worth reading.

Internal judgment. Undoubtedly I've been influenced by any number of sources, but I don't and can't recall ever referring to any for guidance in any particular situation.

3. wordsworth

In other words, situational ethics, or "I'll decide what I want to do"?

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

No, not really. I have a clear set of moral principles that do not change, at least not readily, and which are certainly not convenient. Sometimes they're annoying and exasperating, but I live by those principles anyway because I believe in them fervently and honestly, I don't just pay them lip service and follow along until I have something better to do. That morality isn't always intellectual, as there are certain things that I just believe are right and correct, but my point was that I can't recall looking externally for guidance on how I should behave. Some people undoubtedly pick and choose what beliefs to follow and when, but that's just as true for those who claim to live by the Bible as those who don't draw on any one particular source.

5. Hard Harry

Hard Harry Sometimes Functional INTP

This thread was a good read, until it came back to the same old Chicken & the Egg argument. Is morality self evident, or did it only exist after a higher being exposed it to humanity?

I've never understood the latter argument, both historically and logically. Why is it so necessary for morality to originate from a paternal source, more particularly, a paternal mouthpiece? Is it not enough that consequences dictate morality in the natural order of things? If that is the case, then take the intent (or lack thereof) in the grand design how you wish, but there is a commonality to life and mankind that transcends the bickering between faiths and also between faith and non-faith.

Ultimately, the disagreement is the prophet, which I continue to believe is a very personal matter, not worthy of the killing and hatred perpetrated by so-called true believers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  6. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

that's a good question. myself, when people say prayers (like before a meal) i bow my head, but i don't say amen. it's balancing act -- i'm not trying to offend anybody, but then i also don't want to "act" like something i'm not.

7. wordsworth

TRUE believers wouldn't condone killing and hatred for their cause, it is a very personal subject, one that some are very passionate about, others, not so much, but pretty much everybody has some opinion, hence all the quibbling.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  8. wordsworth

That's called respect and I for one appreciate it. You obviously learned that from someone.

9. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

thanks. i leave the "fighting" for the forum. and of course, i generally associate with people i like and respect, so if they have a custom they'd feel better about me participating in, then i can do that for them -- just don't ask me to be "active" in the participation.

my wife's family goes to church on easter sunday. for the last 5 or 6 years, i've been obliged to go. it's boring as hell and some of it i actually strongly disagree with, but it's just once a year, so i guess i can go and then me and my brother-in-law can make jokes about it later.

(my objection to the service is this weird litany about jesus and how lost and confused the people are -- it seems a little passive-aggressive to tell people to say that they are lost and confused.)

10. wordsworth

I'm not sure what sort of church you've attended, but I know a person's religious beliefs should make them feel better, not worse.