1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Any Holes Left on the Team?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by 45catfan, May 3, 2006.

1. 45catfan

45catfan Wheat Beer Connoisseur

With the off-season acquisitions essentially finished, are there any glaring holes left on the team or is everyone comfortable where the Panthers stand personnel-wise?

I feel that there are no glaring holes, but I would feel better with more talent at the starting strong safety slot, strong-side linebacker position and at tight end. I still think we could have better talent at reserve offensive tackle too. Besides that, I think we are pretty much set. I realize that no team is EVER 100% set or satisfied with their roster, but as for fans, we can dream of having the flawless roster.

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I think you've pretty much nailed it. The safety and linebacker spots need to be clarified, but we have good players to work with.

I'd like to see us set at KR. Smart was bad, Robertson wasn't much better, and the only other guys who appear to be capable, Marshall and Williams, haven't done it in the NFL. So I'd consider that a question mark.

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I do not think we have any glaring holes. We have some depth issues but there is not team that does not have that problem.

Areas of concern are minimal in my opinion:

SLB - our hodge podge of guys will yield a starter who is no worse than Short was last year

WLB - Davis should be good and if he falters we have some options.

FS - Branch should be about as good as McCree was, better in coverage weaker in run support so it should net out. Williams is a wild card who might pan out.

TE - same old guys doing the same old crap no change here really. We are not going to feature a tight end as long as Henning runs the offense.

We have had big upgrades at #2 wideout, DT and Center and running back depth. We may see improvement at guard and nickel corner.

4. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I'm not sure that Branch won't be playing SS this year if he's starting.

5. rake

rake Need one of these

I used to call for that but it got shot down at the time . .. really can't remember why
    My friend the long time Ohio State fan here at work today was talikng up Salley and thinks he will be an excellent SS for us if given a couple of years to adjust to the pro level speed and reads. From the looks of his 40 times he is too slow but my friend says he plays faster than his 40 times . . . says he is a HUGE hitter.)

BTW - I'm hoping he (or ANYONE) can replace Hankton on special teams . . . please

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  6. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

I wonder if we'll hear that "shake your Sally" song at BOA?:satana:

7. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Holes? No, I wouldn't say there are holes. There are a few question marks, though.

KR -- Smitty is the safeguard, but nobody is wishing for that anymore. The hope is that one of the rookies (preferrably Marshall) can take over for Robertson.

PR -- Again, Smitty is the fallback but we really need it to be Marshall, Gamble, or someone else we don't know about yet.

SS/FS -- Can Branch handle it? Shaun Williams would probably be the #3 safety, and will probably be serviceable if Branch isn't up for it.

OLB -- Davis in a brand new position at WLB is a question mark. SLB is WIDE open. I don't remember having such a blank slate at a position before. I don't know that there's even a favorite going in. I'm rooting for Seward to win the job, and I think he can. But until it shakes out on the field, we just don't know.

DT -- The question is what kind of shape Jenks is going to be in, and how far along in his recover he really is. There are bodies we can throw at the position this year, and they'll be better insurance than we had last year, but until we see Kris in pads, we won't know what DT is really going to look like.

OG -- This may be my greatest area of concern. The staff is more or less gambling on Mathis to be a red chip starter, at least. There's not much backing him (or Wahle) up.

8. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I think Donnalley was the last Hole to play for the Panthers.

9. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

Peppers, but good try:imagestor

10. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Well now I just feel stupid. :banginghe: