1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

ACC scared to play Niners???

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by VA49er, Nov 18, 2004.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Everything else given, I think it mainly comes down to recruiting. The Charlotte area has produced some studs that have mostly gone the ACC route. If Charlotte starts playing the top ACC schools, and beats them, then some of those potential ACC recuits are going to start looking a little more closely at their next door University.

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Actually I think you have it backwards. Once Charlotte is able to claim more in state talent the in state teams will play them more often. At least that's my opinion. The reason I think it is this. Once Charlotte gets some in-state guys the other teams will want to play against them in order to renew their reputation as "top dogs". Problem is if they wait that long it may be too late and they'll get slapped down, but I think if Charlotte were a threat to steal in state talent you'd see all the NC teams playing them more.

3. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

chicken & the egg. you're saying the same things.

But you may want to pick up one of our media guides if that's your hypothesis. Start with WIthers and work backwards.

In fact, since Scooter Sherrill & Jason Parker 4+ years ago, the only ACC school that has outrecruited us in Charlotte is Georgia Tech, and even then only because they got Anthony Morrow.

4. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Who are the great players that have come out of Charlotte since then? Did the upper echelon ACC schools even go after them?

5. HardHarry

Curtis WIthers, EJ Drayton, Vincent Grier, just to name 3 current ones. The rest of your question is loaded. No one else went after Curtis because they knew it was a waste of time. He wanted to play at home. EJ didnt make grades and had to go the JUCO route, so no one wasted much time recruiting him when that came to light. Grier was pursued by several Carolinas schools, including some ACC ones. He wanted to play with his buddies.

That Charlotte Aces AAU team was something else though. Those three guys plus McCants. It's no wonder they dominated.

Before that, you had guys like Jobey, DeMarco, Parker & Sherrill. We got half of those four. Not too shabby. We almost asuredly wont get Jamie Skeen though. He's ACC bound one way or another.

6. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

These don't cut it with me. You can't say UNCC out recruited anyone for them because like you listed they were there from the get go. It wasn't a battle over a recruit.

Not knowing the backstory on him I'll give you this one and say it may be a start.

7. HardHarry

What the fuck? Why are you being a contentious asshole? If that's the case, you can't count any UNC-CH recruit like Parker, because he (actually his dad Jesse, who called the shots) wanted to go there from the get go. :drool:

Grier wasn't "a start". Jarvis Lang, DeMarco Johnson, jobey Thomas... there is a long list of local guys who have come to play for the Niners. If you dont wanna believe it, then don't. It's your perogative.

8. HardHarry

Coming back to this - what Charlotte area players have the upper echeclon ACC schools had since Jamison? I honestly can't think of one. They typically don't recruit this area very much, except for Ga Tech, who had fallen off until recently.

Skeen might be the exception, except I dont think UNC-CH or Duke have offered him yet. He's more likely Clemson or FSU bound.

[edit] FUCK. I forgot Justin Gray. My bad. Wake flat outrecruited Charlotte for him.

9. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I can only think of Parker.

10. HardHarry

Yeah, I can only think of Jason, and I thinkh e might (and should have, in hindsight) come to Charlotte if not for daddy. I talked to daddy about it in my former line of work and Jesse was hell bent on getting Jason into UNC. Thats the only school he would have done prep school for. That was a lost cause but we tried anyway.

I'm not trying to slam any of the schools I mentioned, but I really don't think the Tarheels or the Blue Devils specifically recruit the Charlotte area. That's why I am loathe to make the recruiting arguments for or against playing the games, though I have before.

Also, when decision time comes, the reality of the situation for most recruits isn't Charlotte versus ACC school X. It's Charlotte versus the whole damn league, which is really hard to overcome. There are usually 2 or 3 ACC schools offering a slot for any one player we're offering. To me, it stings worse when a kid decides he'd rather play for an ACC doormat than us, all things considered. I also happen to think doing so is really dumb. WHo can recall FSU's or Clemson's lineups during their down years (which is most of their history)? Why be a good player on a doormat team when you you can be a good player on another conference's upper-echelon team(s)? You'll get more attention at the latter.