1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

ACC scared to play Niners???

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by VA49er, Nov 18, 2004.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I am referring to only teams in the UNC system. You are one, we are one. So is ASU, UNCW, UNCA, etc. They all want the same opportunity you do - namely to play Chapel Hill. Of all the non ACC teams in the UNC system, UNCC certainly does have the best basketball history, but playing you every year would piss the others off mightily.

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

I was hoping more for a game against Duke. They've been the best ACC team for a while now. :laugh1:

3. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Besides just being PC, there was a definite purpose to Lutz's comments. It might take a Niner fan to understand it though. While it's true we would do a 2 for 1 with any of the 3 he mentioned (as long as the 1 was Halton - yes Kryszewski, you have to come here), we're not looking for those types of arrangements. For a group that goes fishing as much as we do, you'd think we'd spot it easier. He's trying to bait NCSU, Wake, etc into a 1 for 1. We already have a 2 for 1 with IU, dont have scheduling room for another unless we kill that series.

It would be great if it worked, but I doubt the Obs. will carry the message to its intended recipients.

4. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I'm not saying The Niners aren't a talented team. I'm not saying they could or couldn't beat anyone in the ACC. What I'm saying is there's no one in the ACC "scared" of playing them. Its a joke to say such.

5. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

only in football...

6. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

At least we're still undefeated!! :banana:

7. panthersgo

panthersgo Full Access Member

not scared then what is it refusal? Anyway I have a feeling we will run into one of them in the ncaa's sweet 16 matchup maybe?

8. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

I've used the word scared in the past, and it's not the best word to use. They are afraid, in a sense, because losing would look bad. They are afraid to be shown up by a team in their state that could steal potential recruits.

I don't blame a team like Chapel Hill or Duke for not playing us, I think it sucks, but I don't expect them to play us. I like good basketball games, and I think CHarlotte/Duke or Charlotte/CHapel Hill would be a great series. Especially this year.

Most of our team is made up of guys outside of NC, so they aren't constantly barraged by Chapel Hill bias. I don't think the game would mean as much to them as it would to the fans, outside of the fact that they would get to play a nationally prominent team in their home state. We really don't get that chance very often (outside of conference play).

There has to at least be a little respect and fear (maybe not specifically of our team, more of the ramifications of the game) from the prominent ACC teams, because they wont play us. What I don't understand is why other teams in the conference won't. Why Clemson, Virginia, NC State, Georgia Tech, etc won't play us, I don't understand. GaTech and NCSU have had success recently, but I think a match-up with Charlotte would not be as much of a mar on their reputation with a loss as it would be for Duke/Chapel Hill.

9. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I don't think losing to UNCC would be a bad mark on anyone's reputation.

10. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

I don't either, but that seems to be the reason they won't play us. If it wouldn't look bad to lose to us (I realize I had poor word choice with a mar on their record), why not play us? The schools have nothing to gain and something to lose, in their opinion. Or at least, that's the reason I hear most often.

However, if our team continues the climb they have been on the last couple of years, then hopefully it won't be an issue. I honestly want us to play an ACC school because I want to go to a big game that is close to home. Seriously, it sucks that to go to a big game you have to drive 3 states away. There aren't many big time opponents within the area that aren't in the ACC.