1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

ACC Regular Season or Tournament Title?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Homer3, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Homer3

Homer3 Full Access Member

Which is more difficult to achieve in a conference like the ACC, winning the regular season championship or winning the coference tournament? Which title is the most coveted and why?

2. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

Harder to win the season, but the tourney is what it's all about.

Man, when I lived in Chapel Hill during part of school for the ACC tourney they would roll TV's in the library, labs and larger classrooms and you would combine the classes to watch the games. Business would shut down for that weekend back then, not sure about today.

The Superbowl couldn't hold a candle to the ACC tourney.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

good question

but i view this as an apples to oranges type of comaprison.

you must be more consistant over the long haul, you must win on the road and you must avoid injury to win the regular season. you gain seeding position and that will help you for both tournaments.

tournament play is more of a test of wills imo. you must be willing to push through the pain and exhaustion over a three and sometimes four day period with little more than token rest plus tons of pressure. i read where duke ran some early morning conditioning last week to mimic the early game times for this years acc tournament. it paid off. on the other hand unc appeared lethargic for both of their games.

but the importance of march cannot be overlooked and should not. its the big draw. it may not seem fair but i would'nt trade the either tournament for anything. we in the south were raised on acc hoops. we love the madness.

4. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

This comes up in my coaching wrestling. I use to think the season was tougher, because you had to be on and more consistent all year long. Then one year we were off one day and lost a match but still ended up winning the Conference. That same year we were WAY off during the tournament and finished 2nd. It was like our whole year was a failure even though we were Conference Champs. More or less the same in Basketball, you can be off a few times during the season and still win it, but if you're off one game during the tourney you're out.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  5. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

6. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

I would say the answer to your questions depends largely on whether you're a Duke fan or a Carolina fan.

7. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

If you win the ACC regular season, you're all but guarenteed a #1 seed. Not true with the tourny.

ACC CHampionships are nice and all, but I think I'd rather have the NCAA Championship.

8. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

I don't think the regular season means as much without equal schedules.

9. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

Yep,that ACC tourney for you guys this year doesn't mean as much since Paul was out for Wake and making things a lot easier for dook. :wtf23:

:imagestor

10. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

Injuries and suspensions are part of the game. Are you willing to admit right now that Illinois is better than UNC? They have a better record. Why even play the tournament? I mean Illinois played the whole regular season and only lost one game. They are obviously the best team.