1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

A choice between LenDale AND DeAngelo?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Mr. Scot, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot The Voice of Reason

Pro Football Weekly's draft preview guides and info are generally top notch, but the mock draft in their current draft guide presents what seems to me to be an unbelievable scenario.

They predict LenDale White falling to the 27th pick, and being taken there by the Panthers.

That's followed three picks later by the Colts taking DeAngelo Williams, meaning they have both White and Williams available at the Panthers pick.

Granted, the best backs in the draft a few years back (Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones) fell to the lower part of the first round, so it has happened before. Given that fact, the scenario brings up a few questions:

- Could you realistically see this happening?

- If it did happen, which one do you take?

- Is it possible the team could pass on both, given Foster's contract?

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

White, but only because the team might need a better powerback than Shelton, ut I hope Shelton surprises me.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Not in a million years. It makes no sense whatsoever.
    I'm in the minority, but I'd take Williams. I love his vision and versatility.
    If they do, I will officially kill someone. But no, I don't think Foster's contract would make a difference. If we passed it would be because we didn't like them.

4. WYDD

WYDD Everybody dance now.

for some reason, i've got the feeling that white will burn it up in the pros. having to be in the reggie bush shadow probably has put a big chip on his shoulder. but williams ran for alot on a shitty team so who the hell knows.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Having to choose between the two? Ouch. Honestly, I've got no answer for that one right now. I'd have to see what Lendale runs, first.

6. Growl

Growl Full Access Member

I haven't seen Williams, but most of what you read is positive. I have seen White and he is quite impressive. I have heard mentioned more than once that his weight might become an issue. However, White's size, low mileage, and absence of injury problems would me my deciding factors.......White.

Who are the potential teams that will use 1rst rounder on a RB:

Baltimore - maybe, but they would seem to have more pressing needs and they re-signed Lewis and signed Anderson.

Philadelphia - could happen

Denver - may package draft choices and no history of using 1rst round picks on RBs

Minnesota - signed Taylor

Dallas - will probably go defense

New England - many predict they will pick a RB. I am not so sure. They would seem to have plenty of needs..oddly enough.

Bottom line - I do not think each will be available when the Panthers pick; however, it would not shock me if they were. FA signings and last year's draft of 3 1rst round RBs brings it into the realm of possibility.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Even though I've said that LenDale is overrated (he barely got touched in the first five yards at USC), I would probably shit a golden brick if we could get either one of these guys. Either one would be an upgrade (especially Williams), but the biggest thing is that it would allow us to get rid of Foster and his absurd contract.

8. Growl

Growl Full Access Member

If it happened I think the Panthers would keep Foster this year and perhaps attempt a trade next year.A win/win scenario.

9. Growl

Growl Full Access Member

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

You have to be kidding if you think anyone would ever trade for Foster. But yes, of course we'd still keep him this year even if we manage to snag a RB in the draft. His signing bonus means that we're paying him about the same amount whether he's here or not, it would just mean we don't keep overpaying a mediocre, injury-prone RB to the tune of $5 million a year for all three years of the contract.