1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

49ers fans get glimpse of future

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Savio, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

49ers fans get glimpse of future
    Beasley, one of the nation's top juniors, in town tonight
    JIM UTTER
    [email protected]

MOUTH OF WILSON, Va. - Oak Hill Academy displays jerseys and mementos of its graduates' college and NBA careers at tiny Turner Gymnasium long after they have left campus.

They join numerous trophies and banners -- including six national championships -- won at the 150-student Baptist-run boarding school and prep basketball superpower.

Michael Beasley believes two things are missing -- a jersey and a ring.

A 6-foot-9, 17-year-old forward, Beasley could well be the top-ranked high school basketball recruit in the nation next season, but at the age of 15 he made a verbal commitment to play for the Charlotte 49ers, a commitment that has never wavered.

Former 49ers player Dee Tolliver's jersey hangs at Oak Hill, but Beasley expects another from Charlotte -- his.

And what of the ring?

"The ring is for the national championship we win at Charlotte," Beasley said matter-of-factly.

Beasley and the Warriors visit Charlotte tonight, playing at 7:15 at Providence Day, likely with a large Niners fan contingent in the gym.

Still, until Beasley signs a national letter-of-intent, which he can't do until this fall, some will wonder if he's serious about Charlotte.

Early commitments like Beasley's are rare, especially when a player of his caliber commits to a school not among the tradition-rich ACC, Big East or Big Ten.

Many commitments like Beasley's never pan out, the most recent being 6-7 swingman Taylor King of Santa Ana, Calif., who made a verbal commitment to play at Duke in 2007. Before his freshman year in high school Taylor committed to UCLA.

But Beasley's situation is unique because of his friendship with Charlotte assistant coach Dalonte Hill, an assistant in recent years for the Washington-area AAU team Beasley plays with during the summer.

Beasley said his first thoughts of Charlotte came from Eddie Basden, who won Conference USA Player of the Year honors with the 49ers last season.

"He put a little buzz in my ear," Beasley said.

When he visited the school in person, the deal was sealed.

"I've been to Charlotte three or four times and it's just such a good fit," he said. "I'm going where I can get on the floor quick and where I feel comfortable, which is most important.

"And maybe I'm going where I can get in and get out in one or two years, or maybe even four years."

So how good is he?

Beasley's prep career has varied in location, but not performance.He's attended National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md.; Laurinburg Institute; and IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. He spent last year being home-schooled and led Riverside (Md.) Baptist to a 33-1 record before moving to Oak Hill last fall.

Beasley is averaging 18.4 points, 9.8 rebounds and shooting 53.6 percent from the field for the Warriors this season. He and his game are still maturing.

"He's not even as good as he will get," said Oak Hill coach Steve Smith.

So, how good is he?

Beasley has been ranked as high as second among the nation's high school juniors this season and is likely to receive serious consideration as the country's top-ranked recruit as a senior.

His greatest asset is his versatility.

"He has got the ability to move outside, move inside, he has always been a consistent scorer," said Scout.com national recruiting analyst Dave Telep. "He has been a kid who just puts up numbers, and he is so smooth."

On the floor, the slender, well-defined Beasley moves gracefully, and is as likely to be found under the basket as outside the 3-point line.

During one brief look at an Oak Hill practice, Beasley gave stunning hints at his potential:

• He can easily swish 25- to 30-foot jumpers, whether running the break or on a set play.

• He can turn quickly, dribble well and palms the ball as if he were grasping a piece of fruit.

• He is a crowd pleaser, with his remarkable array of dunks, and the youthful enthusiasm with which he plays.

If Beasley has weaknesses, they are more a result of his inexperience than any lack of skill.

A January scouting report on Beasley by NBAdraft.net pointed out the following: "Still has a lot of work to do before he becomes a consistent player, especially mentally," and "can get frustrated when things aren't going well, needs maturity, mental toughness."

But Beasley has blossomed at Oak Hill. Six teammates have made verbal or written commitments to play at Division I schools.

"Sometimes, our practices can be kind of tough," Beasley said. "I have the bruises to prove it."

Decision made easy

Charlotte has already overcome one hurdle in landing Beasley -- the lure of the NBA.

Last summer, the NBA and its players association approved a new collective-bargaining agreement that, among other things, set a minimum age for the league at 19.

That means high school players such as Beasley will likely spend at least a season in college. Before the rule, several recruiting analysts were convinced Beasley would go straight to the NBA if given the opportunity.

He maintains even NBA riches might not have kept him from playing for Charlotte.

"I have had my mind set on college," Beasley said. "My mother told me to go to college, that it was the best experience you will go through in your life.

"I can't say that if (NBA Commissioner) David Stern wanted to call my name in the top five of draft night, I can't say I wouldn't want my name in.

"Other than that, my heart has been set on college."

Already a 49ers fan base

Charlotte 49ers fans wait anxiously to see if Beasley makes it to campus. They do not wait quietly.Beasley knows they're there.

He sees the green and white pompoms and the hand-made signs at his basketball games. He hears the cheers, whether he plays well or not.

"When I see them in the gym, I just know I'm going to have a good game," Beasley said. "Even if I have a bad game -- in one game last year I think I had 11 points -- they still chant my name.

"That type of energy just brings me closer and closer to Charlotte."

Since Beasley made his verbal commitment, 49ers fans have followed Beasley's every dribble.

They want to believe the words of a teenager who's too young to drink or vote, but who could change the fortunes of a college basketball program.

Beasley has a message for the faithful.

"The only thing that has changed is I feel even stronger about Charlotte," he said.

Being his own man

It is easy to dismiss Beasley's commitment.

Conventional wisdom says Beasley will change his mind, re-open his recruiting and listen to the likes of a North Carolina or Syracuse or Duke.

Fan Web sites are littered with postings of Beasley conspiracy theories, one being he made the commitment only as a favor to Hill, his friend and AAU coach.

Beasley will not hear it.

"My friends ask me all the time, `What do you see in Charlotte?' I mean, what I see in Charlotte is the NBA," he said. "They say it's such a small school. Actually it may be a small school compared to the Dukes and UNC and Syracuse, but they make it to the (NCAA) tournament just about every year.

"I figure if I can go there, I can make it a powerhouse team. I can bring Charlotte to the level of Duke, UNC and Syracuse.

"I'm doing what's best for me so I can be who I want to be."

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

He's good, don't get me wrong. He's a HELL of a ballplayer, but as far as him being the best? He's no O.J. Mayo.

3. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Full Access Member

I figure if I can go there, I can make it a powerhouse team. I can bring Charlotte to the level of Duke, UNC and Syracuse.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  4. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

What a jealous little bitch you are, Turd.

5. TurdFerguson

How so?? I just find that remark funny as hell for some reason. How is that "jealous"?? Man Funny stuff

6. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

he is...:woot:

7. TurdFerguson

Once Again....Jealous of What?? Maybe he could bring them up to Xavier and George Washington before worrying about Duke and UNC. Still funny as shit.

8. Willy

Willy Full Access Member

Jealous sounds about right to me too. :woohoo:

9. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

yeah...I think he's jealous.... :bananalam :woohoo:

and can't stick to the topic...:thud:

10. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

What the hell is Turd bitching about now? I can't see any of his posts.