1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2005 QB pay

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Gen Scope, Jan 20, 2006.

1. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Yeah, heard that this morning. :handbang:

2. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

Brooks + Collins + Griese = 10 MEELyun dollars.

Damn.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Huh? Why would it? Look at the list of '06 bases and actually bother to notice the fact that almost all of them figure to be released or restructured in part because of their high salaries. Jake does get paid too much, there's simply no question about that. The only question is whether or not it's worth it to overpay him (as Lucas and Wahle are overpaid, for instance).

4. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

I would rather overpay for Delhomme than anyone, including Lucas or Wahle--though I was pleased that we were able to snag Lucas/Wahle, regardless of the price.

Delhomme may get more than he will deserve in 2006. Maybe not. We don't know yet.

Here's what we do know: Delhomme is 5-1 in the postseason. He has thrown 9 touchdowns, against 2 interceptions.

In the regular season, he has a record of 28-19. He has engineered (or contributed to) 10 game-winning drives since 2003.

He has thrown some shitty passes along the way. Couple in the Detroit game. One in the Miami game. The one to 54 last week was a bad throw, but not his worst.

Cliches suck, so I will try to avoid one in labeling Delhomme the following: Winner, gunslinger, riverboat gambler, rah-rah.

Delhomme is simply a very good quarterback. In an era of decline at the position, I feel blessed to have a very good quarterback leading my team.

5. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

Actually I would call Urlacher's int not a bad throw by Jake but a beautiful individual effort on his part. Kudos to him.

Wait; very GOOD or very TALENTED? :imagestor

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  6. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

I don't have the time/patience to split hairs in this thread. Delhomme is very good. There is more to the position than mechanics. Delhomme's mechanics are not great, but he is effective. He is damn near unstoppable when:

1. The offensive line (particularly the interior) shows up.

and

2. Steve Smith is healthy.

Add in a healthy rushing attack, and Delhomme plays at a high level. So, while some around here penalize JD for his fire, and the whole cajun bit, the numbers just don't lie. He is the highest rated quarterback in NFL Postseason history. He has also thrown a touchdown pass in each of the Panthers' last four playoff wins, all on the road.

Again, it does not excuse throwing a ball right in Boss Bailey's hands. But I do appreciate his play in January.

7. Foxman

Foxman Don't read th

Prove it :imagestor

Seriously.....I'll live with overpaying him as I do think he's the type of guy that would restructure in order to keep talent around him. Jake hasnet let the contract or anything else get in his head...he is the same guy more or less that he was when he was as back up in the first half in 03. If we are gonna over pay someone lets overpay someone that has given us a shot at a superbowl.

8. Jake Delhomme

Jake Delhomme Banned From TBR

Restructure? No bitch. You better pay my sweet ass if you want to keep seeing those playoff victories.

I'm rich.

9. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

Keep watching games, and please take note of how much poor to mediocre quarterbacking we see.

Grossman
    Eli
    Vick

And these are three of the up-and-coming stars of the NFL.

Bledsoe was horrific against the Rams in week 17. Eli was inconsistent all year. Vick is a terrible quarterback. Other than Hasselbeck, Delhomme is the cream of the crop in the NFC. McNabb will get healthy, and will thrive again, but it will be interesting to see him without TO.

10. Foxman

Foxman Don't read th

Fixed