1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

#1 Overall Pick 2011 - Cam Newton (now also 2011 Offensive Rookie Of The Year)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Kevin Costner

Kevin Costner Senior Member

I'm glad he's reached that same plateau as Joe Webb and Jim Miller.

2. Ted Striker

Ted Striker ... over Macho Grande

And if he wins one he will surpass the great Tony Homo

Not much, I realize, but after Pickles and the last several years Id certainly take what we can get.

3. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

winning playoff qb hopefully

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I never saw this

5. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Article about how the class of 2011 is getting short changed by the new agreement

Even someone like Newton, who has performed better than Bradford to this point, is unlikely to get a contract commensurate with other quarterbacks. Bradford received a six-year, $78 million deal.

If Carolina wants, it can wait on Newton. Under the current system, Newton is due an option salary of $13.6 million according to Spotrac.com’s numbers and a $16.4 million franchise salary in 2016. Add that to his original four-year, $22 million contract and Newton will make roughly $52 million over his first six years.

And at a time when quarterbacks such as Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan and Tony Romo are getting in excess of $50 million over the first three years of their new contracts, Newton is due to make roughly $35 million over his next three years.

Or as one agent put it: “Think about that. As good as Newton is when you compare him to those guys, he has no leverage. This system was supposed to give guys leverage if they played well. It has failed. Absolutely failed.”

6. Kevin Costner

Newsflash: Life isn't fair.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Newton is making a shit-ton of money and has nothing to complain about (I'm glad he hasn't complained, for the record). Russell Wilson and similar guys after the first round who establish themselves as quality players do get shafted, but they did under the old system too. The only difference between then and now is that the top 10 don't get the utterly absurd amounts they used to.

8. Kevin Costner

It's hard to argue that he even deserves hellajack. 25-24 record as a starter. No playoff wins. I think the system is working fine.

He'll eventually get the huge contract that he doesn't deserve. In the meantime, I'm sure he can rough it on ramen noodles and bottled water while taking the bus to work.

9. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

The new system was also supposed to shift the financial rewards towards vets and I don't know that it has worked that way really, seems like there area ton more guys that have to settle for cheap one year deals.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Depends on what you mean by "vets." The oldest players are getting pinched, but the peak players are making more than ever.