1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

#1 Overall Pick 2011 - Cam Newton (now also 2011 Offensive Rookie Of The Year)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

I haven't seen anyone making a big deal of it outside of tbr. He's trying to take this team from ashy to classy, hurt feelings or not.

2. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

I would hope he meant that anyone who was going through the motions needed to get on board with WINNING and giving 100% all the time and that he wanted everyone from Richardson on down to be committed to winning. I mean Steve Smith wanted out of a losing organization this year, so there may indeed be some who had the thinking that we're not very good and this is all we can expect. There are teams who over achieve with lesser talent simply because they're united & committed to winning and the Panthers (some of them anyway) in the 1-15 season and maybe last year seemed to feel we're just not very good or "here we go again" when we were losing.

Some might say that by not hitting the weights, Gross isn't 100% committed to being all he could be, and I'm not sure I'd argue that point. Being the best athlete you possibly can is a lot of hard work even when you're physically gifted. It's studying game tape fanatically. It's the Wesley Walls whose reaction to folks saying you don't have good hands is to buy your own jugs machine and work at home. I would venture to say there may be some on our team who do what they HAVE to, but no extra - to be a winner, you have to want it bad enough to go above and beyond. Since he came to Carolina, people always comment how Smitty practices like it's a real game - is that bad?

I think Cam is young and probably not very good at expressing his thoughts. Hopefully his teammates will see it as he's going to everything he can to be a winner & come on guys let's all be on the same page.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

I think Cam is a douche who still wants to be that "entertainer and icon." He's fun to watch play, but this should be really concerning to any Panthers fan. You want a guy who says that he wants to build a team into a winner, not one who says the team better start winning or he'll leave.

4. Howaboutthat

Howaboutthat Full Access Member

***YAWNS*** smh:N1IneeddrugsHL4:

5. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

True, but didn't Smitty say some self centered crap years ago? I remember people saying he should play & not talk - aside from being hard to understand? Maybe even throwing teammates under the bus. I know Cam isn't the first Panther folks have said threw teammates under the bus. And Moose and DECOY. They're young and "stupid". Hopefully coaches, Richardson etc will have a chat with him.

Do I like what he said, no, but he's our QB and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Smith wanted a contact after his first professional game.

I don't know what to think about Cam. We have him for up to four more years so I'm not worried about something like this right now.

7. NewFace15

NewFace15 kinda sirry but not reary

Its like lebron james Why would you want to spend your entire career on a franchise that wont put the pieces in place to win a championship. i don\'t think he \"wants out\" cause Carolina sucks right now, i think he\'s saying if that mindset stays and the panthers (management and current players) are cool with being a OK team every other year then he wants to go to a serious franchise. I dont see anything wrong with that and if you were in his shoes neither would you.

8. Poontangler

Poontangler Full Access Member

Someone had to take ownership of the team, he did. I think the message was good "winning is the only thing exceptable". With that said I'm not sure about the delivery. I think Cam is just not that good in front of a mic.

9. D_Gantt

D_Gantt Banned From TBR

Yeah well you just know it all, don't you?

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

MOOSE!