1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

1, 65, 97, 98

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Jan 9, 2011.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    pre-hire, post-Luck draft exercise. You can go as far as you want, hire assistants and shit. Trades should be minimalized and adhere to the value chart if necessary - I don't like trades in this situation since people tend to find players on the chart, trade to where they are, and fit around it.

Anyway, initial assumption should include whether or not free agency/CBA happens before draft, and who your coach is.

Assume players who haven't declared their intentions are coming out, if you want. No Luck.

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Staff:

HC, Rivera
    OC, John Ramsdell
    QBs coach, Brian Daboll
    OL coach, Mike Solari

DC, Rob Ryan
    DBs, Johnnie Lynn
    LBs, Mike Smith
    DL, Bryan Cox

ST, Brad Seely

4-3 under defense, standard cover 2.

No FAs as of draft time, but keeping CJ, Kalil, TD, tagged DW. Kept Rosario, but not King, Anderson.
    Added Billy Volek, QB, Brandon Mebane, DT.

1. Fairley, DT. No idea if he's worth the pick, went with what I felt was the greatest youth need. QB isn't there and WR, we're young enough. It's him or the CBs, to me.

65. DJ Williams, TE. One spot we can get younger. Would prefer a taller, Tony Gonzalez type but Williams (6'2, 245) is complete otherwise. Receiver, blocker, good routes and RAC.

97. Davon House, CB, NM St. 6'0, 190, KR ability. Was him or Korey Lindsey, So Illinois, who's a little more physical. Either work. We need someone else to play the nickel, I don't know whether McClain or Stanford can. 3rd down was already a weakness with Marshall here. It's a wildcard if Pugh goes to CB, and IMO, that guy should be on the field somewhere.

98. Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami (FL). Tall, 6'7. 320. We'll see how athletic he is, but he can play G or T. I like Schwartz at RG, and Bernadeau returns to back C. We have some experienced depth again, but you build OLs by pushing players in. Since we don't have a ton of needs for youth on O, we can afford to put some into a mean OT that needs to grow into his frame. If I hadn't picked up Williams at 65 I'd also be tempted to pickup Owen Marecic and put him at TE, despite him being 6'1.

Those last two are tough. It's not just a matter of who's available, but who isn't listed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Having Bryan Cox as a coach would be fun to watch. If we can get Fairley and Mebane (who had a nice game yesterday) seemingly would seriously help our rush defense as well as create a inward push

4. CosmikCatNip

CosmikCatNip of myth and lore

good speculation there and i can't disagree with it. the only thing i would question is that top pick. i can't really see them passing on bowers, factoring in any local hero appeal with that from clemson. the only thing that might sway that is if one of the qbs shows up great.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Well, like I said, that was partly need. Fairley makes more sense assuming we keep CJ.

6. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Hard to do this when we have two picks at 97 and 98 and the list only goes to 100.

I would probably go DT with the first pick, Fairley if he is the one we think is best.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah I struggled with that, too. But, pretty much I figured out who was taken at the spots I wanted, looked those positions up, and chose between the best available.

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Ben Ijalana is rated at 61 on this list and we do not pick until 65 but he seems like he would fit well with our OL since he has good size. He might be able to step in and play right away at RG. That way we can pair him with Otah or it lets us keep Schwartz at RT rather than RG. Bernadeau was a big disappointment.

9. pantherking

pantherking Say What ?

we have to get some more picks some way some how or were gonna have to do a lot of signing

10. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

1. QB
    65. QB
    97. QB
    98. QB

After they finally get a good one then try to build around him. Till they do nothing else will matter